Ms. Hutchinson was focused on language arts creating a game on using adjectives. From the footage of the Adjective Game we observed the following:
- Group Collaboration - classroom is broken into teams with a specific goal in mind.
- Establishing rules of play - reinforcing that set classroom rules apply to classroom play
- Lots of Energy - Ms. Hutchinson’s energy level is reflected by the students
- Playful approach from Ms. Hutchinson that was received well by the students
- No break in the action kept the students involved
- Call and Response - reinforcement of expected participation
- Building from a simple foundation; First assignment was describing as a class Ms. Hutchinson’s “selfie”; Second assignment describing personal selfies; Third assignment describing well known characters photos as a group
- Sense of competitions - Groups competed for a prize (even though she let everyone win)
- Expected behavior - all eyes front
- Class definitions of exploration - what can you explore in social studies?
- Class “determines” what the goal of the assignment is: focus on developing own questions and wonderings
- Continuous learning across subjects demonstrated in the use of language, shared vocabulary with science
- Wonderings/ coming up with questions
- Discussion of wonderings/questions with group
- Move towards Who, What, When, Where, Why and How questions through self discovery
- Working together towards a common goal
- Competition (game) versus Exploration
Next week we’ll continue developing the rubric and prototype some play activities with Mrs. Warszalek’s weather unit.