How can I facilitate students to pursue their own interests through project based learning?
You might be asking how I will teach drama standards while having students in my classroom creating their own blogs. It's a good question and one that we all will be working to address as this project unfolds. Many of the standards for drama deal specifically with creative process, so I imagine it will be easy to adapt my own thinking towards this work. My major goal for the rest of the year will be pushing students towards using dramatic processes while creating their projects.
We have set some creative ground rules that I am pretty geeked about:
Encourage young people to:
- Think differently.
- Be open-minded.
- Think visually, and sketch as they discuss ideas.
- Keep the people they’re designing for , the end user, at the center of each decision.
- Play, and be imaginative.
- Listen to other people’s ideas and opinions without judgment.
- Fail. A lot. It’s not about getting it right, it’s about listening to feedback and improving your ideas.
I'll be using these rules myself as we continue diving into this work together.